2013 Subaru STI – Stage2 Calibration

  • 0

2013 Subaru STI – Stage2 Calibration

Was the first day of fall, but with the ambient conditions that were present you would not think so.  Another hot and humid day in Kenner, LA.  We were working today with Scion tC as we installed a transmission on it and was adjusting the clutch on it and driving it on the street.

Got a call in the morning with a client that was wanting some one to look at his 2013 Subaru STi as it was not performing up to its standards.  Managed to squeeze the client in at noon and told him that we usually calibrate the cars at nights since it gets really hot in the shop.  He was coming in from MS and driving thru town on his way to Lake Charles and decided to call us to help him with his ride.

We moved cars around at the shop and got the AWD Dyno Dynamics ready for his arrival.  Placed the vehicle on the dyno and got it ready to see what we could do to help matters.

2013 Subaru STi with stage 2 mods:

Stock engine / Cobb intake, APv3 /Grimmspeed Upipe, TMIC and catback exhaust
Tial BOV with EWG / Air pump delete / Cobb Fuel pump

Ambient conditions were 103F / 43% humidity and 30.03 Baro
Test performed in 4th gear

The vehicle was previously etuned and the client wanted a dyno calibration instead so we proceeded to accomodate him as he had some DTCs present that needed to be taken car of which were affecting his fuel trims and his over all WOT fueling.

Before the dyno pulls were done we checked the oil level and also discovered that we needed to add a quart of oil to the engine. In comes some Amsoil XL series 5w-30 to the rescue.

Before and after resutls from the tuning session.  261awhp and 288awhp was achieved.

Dyno jet simulated number vs boost which just hit 20psi and tapered to 16psi.
In conclusions the client was very happy and we thank Chris for trusting us with his ride and having patience in this hot and humid day which was not easy day to calibrate an engine.


  • 0

2005 Subaru WRX – APv3 Protune

Good day to you guys, well in another hot humid day in Kenner, LA we had a client come in from Biloxi, MS.  This was his first Subaru he has ever owned and wanted to make sure the car was running good from the previous owner that had the vehicle.  The vehicle is a 2005 Subaru WRX, with these list of mods:

  • 2.5L Built bottom end (forged internals)
  • 2.5L head (HD exhaust and intake valves), no avcs with TGV delete
  • Blouch td06-20G (BB)
  • Injector Dynamics 1000cc
  • Fuel pump
  • Larger TMIC
  • Turbo back exhaust
  • Cobb Accessport v3
  • Cobb intake
  • Southbend clutch kit.

As our usual way to start things is getting the car on the rollers, strap it down correctly and place all the necessary sensors needed for the calibration.  As we discovered after we made a 3rd and 4th gear WOT sweep as soon as the Blouch turbo would come alive our AFR went up with the boost and as many know that is not the way to keep a EJ255 motor happy and in one piece.  That meant we could not even do a full RPM run and we had to get to mapping the engine straight away.
As soon as we started getting the fueling down to the right range we started running into another issue.  As the boost started coming in as we made a sweep usually around 5000-5500 rpms the car would experience a sensation as the clutch was slipping.
Lowered the boost to wastegate spring rate and that did not help matters that much either.  Asked the client once again the clutch was on the car and he said that Southbend clutch was only in there for a few months.
We could not get that distinct smell of clutch when we were making the runs since the car was also exhibiting a little oil burning smell and that was indeed masking any other smell in the dyno room.

We now decided to get it off the rollers and do some street testing to make sure it was not the dyno giving a odd load to the vehicle (which I knew that was not the case) during the test runs.
Well as we tested on the local highways sure enough, right at the same psi and rpms as the dyno the car would quickly rev up in the same zone where the vehicle starts making its peak WTQ.  In any case managed to properly map the engine for where we could on the psi where it did not slip which in this case was around 13psi. Oh yeah the client tried to do a weak little launch and that only solidified our initial hunch that is was a clutch issue that we were experiencing.

So for now we are going to be ordering a new clutch kit for this client and installing it. Once the clutch kit is properly broken in we are going to re-visit this calibration session.

So stay tuned to see where this nice Blouch 20g ends up making once the bugs are sorted it out.

Thanks for checking out our blog posts.  Cheers

Save